E-Boat Magazine.

The following article has been kindly compiled by Colin Ross the owner of Jandi (E-162). You can use e-mail to contact Colin Ross.



When I arrived in Dubai in 2002, I had been away from sailing for a number of years and it wasn’t until my kids school offered sailing lessons to the pupils that I realised how much I was missing it.

I promptly began sailing and racing Lasers every Friday but quickly realized that I wasn’t as young as I used to be and that Lasers require a LOT of work to sail well. ☹

I soon had the opportunity to buy a 19’ Hunter Europa “BEETLE” which I sailed for a number of years and was a joy to sail either crewed or single handed. However, about a month after I bought “BEETLE” a bright yellow apparition sailed into the marina under FULL sail, (Main, Jib AND Spinnaker!) and I was in love! I had just seen my first E- Boat.

Jandi in 2003
As it transpired, that was the last time I actually saw her under sail until I bought her nearly 5 years later. She sat at a floating mooring  and slowly declined until she was bought cheaply by one of the instructors at the club. He had started to renovate her when he lost his job and had the leave the country “suddenly” as quite often happens in this part of the world.

He had left instructions with a mutual friend to sell her for “whatever you can get”, so I ended up buying  JANDI for “Not Very Much” in early 2008.

Oh dear.

She was in a sorry state.

From the documentation that I have with her, she was brought out to the UAE sometime around the mid 90’s. She proceeded to mop up a large number of racing trophies and is still regarded locally as a “fast” boat…However, there was a lot of work to be done to bring her back to a condition where she would ever be raceable again.

First off, we had to strip 20-odd years worth of paint and anti fouling from her hull. At this point, she was still bright yellow and a very striking sight. She wasn’t quite so pretty after stripping.

Jandi after stripping
As we stripped the paint we noticed a curious bulge on the bow and after a bit of scientific tapping, came to the conclusion that the GRP had delaminated for some reason. We decided to drill into it to see if it was water…but no…it was worse than that…
Jandi forestay anchor corrision
Below the bulge, the drill brought out a load of corroded steel. The forestay anchor was completely corroded and we had to chop the whole thing out.
Jandi glass cut out for'ard
The overall condition of the forestay anchor proved that this was the correct decision!
Jandi forestay anchor metalwork
Fortunately a friendly local fabrication shop was able to make a new unit for me from marine grade 316 Stainless Steel and this was then bonded back into the bow and seems to be providing good service.
Jandi reglassed forestay mounting
Over the next few months, we built up various layers of undercoats and base coats, each of which drew horrified gasps from my better half. She didn’t like the first white base coat and when the “Baby Blue” undercoat went on, she declared that the original yellow was better!
Jandi in base coat
Admittedly, I was having a few misgivings about the masculinity of the undercoat, even though I KNEW it was going to be covered by a much nicer top coat!
Jandi in mid coat
As the summer of 2009 wore on we finally managed to get the top coat completed and she was remasted and relaunched in July 2009.
Jandi in top coat
Her first trip out was with the crew of HMS Montrose, a Type 23 Frigate named after my home town in Scotland. Occasionally, when HMS Montrose is in Dubai, we try to organise a visit to her for the Cub Scouts and to offer something back for their hospitality, I offered to take them out sailing on the newly refurbished JANDI.
Jandi with RN crew
This turned out to be a great days sailing and it also verified that she was a very quick boat. I took this picture while chasing her in BEETLE, my Hunter Europa. You may note from the picture that JANDI is on the main sail only and the jib has been dropped. What you can’t see is that BEETLE from where I took the picture, is under full sail and is only just keeping up with her…nice.

Very soon after this picture was taken, the sailing club that provided a berth for Jandi decided to stop offering services for Keel Boats and the pontoons were to be removed. We were told to arrange to take our boats away from the club premises and find alternative moorings. In Dubai, this is not an easy thing to do…Keel Boat moorings are like hens teeth…

As a result, I had to put her on her trailer and take her home. Unfortunately, before I pulled her out, and only 3 months after relaunching her, a clueless floating gin palace owner decided to use her as a fender while he was trying to dock his floating ego massager. The contact broke off the lower rudder mounting and left some very nasty scrapes along her new paint work. Unfortunately nobody got the number of the gin palace and despite wandering around the marina looking for a boat with blue paint marks along her hull, we were unable to identify the culprit.

Oh well

We pulled her out onto her trailer and she spent the next 8 months in our driveway. The damage was repaired but we still had no berth for her and rigging and derigging the mast is not really something that I want to be doing every weekend in 40+ oC heat!

Anyway, early in July2010, rumours started circulating at Dubai Offshore Sailing Club ( www.dosc.ae ) that new berths would be available later in the year. I checked with the club, and indeed, Jandi had been allocated a berth, but it wouldn’t be available until late September…None the less, I dragged her out of the drive and started to prepare her for sailing again.

Jandi on trailer
New Halyards…the very thing!

As I started to thread the new halyards in, I noticed that the mast foot was a little loose in the mast. “No problem” , I thought. A couple of pop rivets will sort that out…No.

As I started to drill, the mast foot literally fell apart and suddenly my imminent return to the water was looking in serious jeapordy.

Jandi Mast Foot
As I write (mid September 2010) I am frantically chasing down a new mast foot but am also trying to get the old one welded up so that she can be ready for her berth at the end of the month.
Boy am I looking forward to getting her on the water again!

Webmasters Note:

Many thanks Colin.  I am sure we all wish you the best... it must be such a chore having to sail in sunshine and warm waters, not like Montrose at the moment.  Look forward to getting an update (with pictures) in the near future.

If you have an article for the Club's regular magazine or just for the Web Page please contact the Webmaster.

DotTo return to the main Magazine page, click here.

DotTo return to the Main E-Boat Page (index), click here.